January 27, 2017 by
Millions of Americans find themselves in the position of providing senior care for an older loved one, and while being a family caregiver is rewarding in many ways, daily senior care can become monotonous for both the caregiver and the care recipient. At Home Independent Living wants to help you put the fun back in your loved one’s daily routine, and all it takes is a little creativity. Test out some of these ideas to help brighten your loved one’s day and make everyday senior care more exciting:
Add Some Style
Consider adding some style and fun to dressing, laundry, and other chores by:
- Asking the senior to help with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Use this time to chat about your day, a TV program you both enjoy, etc.
- Go window shopping, try on clothes together, look at fashion magazines and catalogs and pick out outfits you’d think the other would look good in.
- Make choosing clothes to wear each day and accessorizing a fun event!
Spice Up Mealtime
Food can define culture, family history and traditions and is connected with many feelings. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Taking your time shopping in the grocery store.
- Having the senior help wash or dry dishes.
- Assisting the senior in preparing a traditional family recipe.
- Spending the evening eating at a favorite restaurant or seeking out favorite foods served in local restaurants.
At Home Independent Living’s senior care professionals know that caring for an elderly loved one can be both rewarding and stressful, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. Our specially trained Syracuse area caregivers provide friendly companionship along with individualized personal care services such as bathing, dressing, and grooming assistance and much more.
Contact us today to see how our senior care services in Syracuse, Camillus and the surrounding area can brighten up everyday life for your loved ones.