December 14, 2017 by
Living across the country from family makes it complicated to pay a visit to our older loved ones as often as we would like, but when the holiday season is here, families make an extra effort for time together – making it the perfect time to review a senior’s safety and wellbeing. There are many warning signs that aren’t observed in weekly telephone conversations, emails, or even through Skype, but which often become very clear when the family gathers together for the holidays.
- Do you observe a change in the level of cleanliness of the home?
- Are you noticing a build-up of clutter, like stacks of mail and newspapers?
- Are foods in the refrigerator and pantry fresh?
- Do you see scorch or burn marks on pots and pans, counter surfaces, or anywhere else in the kitchen?
- Is the home being kept at a comfortable temperature?
- Has the senior family member lost or gained weight?
- Has overall hygiene decreased?
- Are you able to see any burns, bruises, or other injuries?
- Does the older adult seem to be being affected by issues with strength or balance?
- Are all required medical aids being appropriately used and in good condition, such as glasses, dentures, hearing aids?
- Are there collection notices, bills that have gone unpaid, phone messages from debt collectors?
- Do bank account statements contain any suspicious activity?
- Is the senior family member short on any needed essentials?
- Is the older adult getting – and reacting inappropriately to – solicitation phone calls or mailings?
- Are there any new names included on statements from the bank that might point to potential fraudulence?
If these or any other red flags are noted, one particular starting point is to set up an appointment with the senior’s medical doctor to address any potential health concerns. Then, contact At Home Independent Living’s in home senior care team for help in resolving a variety of issues related to aging at home, such as food preparation, light housekeeping, transportation to doctors’ appointments, cheerful companionship to lessen isolation and loneliness, and much more.
Serving Syracuse and the surrounding area, it is the goal of At Home Independent Living to keep older individuals safe, healthy, and thriving at home. Our care staff are thoroughly screened, interviewed, and background checked to ensure peace of mind for family members, and trained and experienced in a variety of aspects of senior care. Call us at 315.579.HOME for a free in-home meeting to discover how we can best meet your loved one’s specific needs.