January 25, 2023 by
There’s frequently nothing “routine” about a routine checkup. You may arrive to your appointment perfectly fine but leave with orders for blood work along with other medical tests the doctor recommends to keep you as healthy as possible. These tests might be nothing more than a minor inconvenience for most adults, however for older adults, they may be challenging, for several reasons: transportation problems, thinner skin, mobility issues, cognitive difficulties, fragile veins, health worries, and much more.
There are actions you can take to improve the experience of medical testing for the elderly and advocate to maneuver medical tests more easily. For example:
- Find out if tests can be performed in the individual’s home. Home health care has become an extremely viable option for blood work along with other tests.
- Providing a urine or stool sample can be challenging. Ask the doctor for any guidelines to make the process less difficult, for example, a receptacle to place over the toilet in place of using a cup. Make sure the bathroom floor is clean and dry and that any rugs are removed, and encourage the person to hold onto a grab bar during the collection process to prevent a fall.
- In the event that the medical test will be done outside the home, call ahead to the facility where it will be performed. Find answers to any specific questions you may have about the drop-off location, parking, optimal time of day to schedule the test, etc.
How Can Home Care Services Help an Older Adult Who Needs Medical Tests?
An in-home caregiver from At Home Independent Living can:
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments, tests, and procedures, while assisting with mobility support as needed.
- Pick up prescriptions and provide medication reminders to ensure meds are taken exactly as prescribed.
- Take notes to ensure doctors’ orders are understood and followed.
- Help the individual to get settled safely back at home afterwards, and provide companionship and oversight to watch for any changes in condition that should be reported.
- Engage care management.
- And much more.
Contact the team of senior care experts from At Home Independent Living at (315) 579-HOME (4663) to arrange for the support necessary for someone you love. We offer a free in-home consultation that will help you understand your options. Contact us today to learn more about how our senior care in Fayetteville, NY and the surrounding areas can help the person you love!