January 16, 2019 by
With over 325 million people residing in the U.S. alone, it’s hard to imagine that loneliness could be so widespread. Yet over 50% of seniors live alone, and over a million of them are likely to be chronically lonely. In reality, roughly 50% of seniors researched stated that their main source of companionship is the television.
Being lonely can cause acute health concerns as well, reported to have as significant an influence as cigarette smoking and obesity, and can cause depression, high blood pressure, dementia, and even an earlier mortality rate compared to those who are socially connected.
What are ways to ensure your senior loved ones avoid settling into isolation? The Campaign to End Loneliness advises using the following measurement tool. Check in with the seniors in your life to gauge their responses to these three statements:
1. I am satisfied with my friendships and relationships.
2. I have plenty of people I feel comfortable asking for help at any time.
3. My friendships are as fulfilling as I would want them to be.
If loneliness is a concern for a loved one in your life, there are a lot of things you can do to assist:
- Check in with your senior loved one’s neighbors, close friends, and people in his/her religious organization in order to coordinate weekly visits.
- Employ technology, such as Facetime and Skype, allowing the senior to be connected remotely.
- Look into available activities and classes for older adults at the local community college, senior center, and fitness center.
It’s equally important to rule out clinical depression and other health problems as the root reason behind your loved one’s loneliness. A loved one who may be isolating herself/himself on account of psychological or physical issues requires professional medical care services to completely manage the difficulty and receive appropriate treatment.
One of the better strategies to decrease loneliness in seniors is by engaging the services of At Home Independent Living. Our Syracuse, NY caregiving companions spend quality time with senior loved ones through:
- Friendly discussions
- Engaging in rewarding activities such as playing games, cards, exercise, hobbies, and favorite interests
- Sharing meals with each other
- Supplying the transportation and accompaniment needed to help seniors stay involved in the world around them
- And much more
Contact us any time at (315) 579-HOME (4663) or via our online form for help from our in home care company in Syracuse, NY in making certain that your senior loved one is socially active and experiencing life to the fullest!