November 21, 2023 by
What’s at the top of your wish list this holiday season? An end to world hunger? A new home? Good health for your loved ones? What if you could eliminate stress and simply take pleasure in the holiday season? What a gift that would be!
Caregiving is a lot to manage all year round, but the holidays take stress to a whole new level. However, there are ways to experience stress relief for caregivers and truly enjoy the beauty, warmth, and love of the season. Our care experts recommend the following small steps that can make a big difference.
- Manage gift expectations. Shopping for the perfect gift for everyone on your extended family and friends list can consume a great deal of your holiday time (and money!). There are numerous fun ways to simplify the process. For example, have each family member choose a name and purchase a present for that person only. Then plan a potluck dinner with each person bringing a favorite dish and exchanging gifts.
- Be honest and open. Stop sugarcoating how hard your year has been as a caregiver. Let close friends and family in on the struggles your loved one is facing and how it is impacting you. Sharing from the heart with those you trust to listen and understand is an incredible relief in and of itself.
- Change up the traditions. If you have always been the one to host large family holiday gatherings, consider passing the baton to someone else. If the thought of hauling out each and every holiday decoration is overwhelming, choose several of your favorite items and leave the rest in the attic this year. Find strategies to simplify and establish new traditions that place less pressure on you.
- Intentionally focus on the positives. Nothing changes your mood and outlook like gratitude. Create a simple gratitude journal in which you record what you’re most thankful for, and spend time every day reading through and reflecting on the list, adding to it as new thankful thoughts arise.
- Reach out for help. Caregiving should never be a solo endeavor. Taking regular breaks for self-care benefits both the person in your care and yourself. Let family and friends know exactly what they can do to help, and then do not hesitate to accept that support. Our caregivers are always available to help as well!
How Can Home Care Services Help?
Our care professionals have been providing stress relief for caregivers through our services each and every day – during the holiday season and throughout the year! Our services are highly customized to allow older adults and their loved ones to select the tasks they would like help with, while maintaining what they prefer to do themselves.
Email or call At Home Independent Living at (315) 579-HOME (4663) for a free consultation to discover how our home care services can benefit someone you love in Syracuse, Camillus, Clay, Fayetteville, Salina, and the surrounding areas. Then take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy every precious moment with those you love!