August 23, 2021 by
Life, especially during the course of a pandemic, can be filled with uncertainty. For seniors who are feeling less in command of certain facets of life, such as losing cognitive or physical functioning, focusing on exactly what can be controlled is empowering.
An excellent place to begin is by establishing a regular routine, adapted to a senior’s particular interests and needs. Keep in mind that a daily routine for seniors is not designed to be a strict regimen to be adhered to, but merely the foundation for structure and predictability. With the older adult’s direction and input, make a decision on a preferred framework for each day. A sample day to day routine might look like this:
- Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
- Manage personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast on the back patio while listening to their favorite music
- Take a stroll
- Tackle a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to take to the nearby park
- Run a few errands
- Spend some quiet time reading or take a short nap
- Prepare dinner together and clean up afterwards
- Watch a movie
- Go to sleep at 10:30 p.m.
A daily routine for seniors is beneficial for older adults and their caregivers alike, in a variety of ways:
- Routines lower anxiety and stress. Routines are calming and comforting, eliminating the need to wonder and worry about what’s going to happen next, who will be there to help, and how to ensure that everything is going to be taken care of.
- Routines create better sleep. Research has shown that following a daily routine helps with sleep quality in addition to the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Routines allow for high quality time with family and friends. Older adults and people who care for them can create routines that include enjoyable time together. Include favorite pastimes, weekly lunch dates at a well-loved restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
Our home care team is skilled at creating customized care plans and schedules to make every day the very best it can be for older adults and those who love them through a complete range of in-home support services, including:
- Morning wake-up assistance, including personal hygiene and cooking breakfast
- Engaging companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with friends and family, medical appointments, etc.
- And many more, in accordance with each individual’s specific needs
Contact At Home Independent Living, one of the top home care providers in Liverpool, NY and the surrounding areas, any time at (315) 579-HOME (4663) for more information and to schedule a no cost in-home consultation.