As Jane Austen once said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for those with a chronic illness, like multiple sclerosis (MS), comfort is essential, as is remaining safe. If a loved one has been diagnosed, the initial step in providing MS home care should be to make the appropriate modifications to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, and not a hazardous place.
Multiple sclerosis can cause getting around to be complicated, and because daily tasks — including leisure activities — can cause fatigue more rapidly in people with MS, creating particular changes to the home environment may help preserve energy and increase independence.
Some examples include:
- Replace thick carpeting with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars in the bathroom
- Reposition furniture to widen pathways throughout the residence
- Include items in the tub or shower such as a handheld showerhead, a slip resistant bath mat and a tub seat
- Consider a bed rail to assist with changing sleep positions
- Replace knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
At Home Independent Living can provide home modification guidelines and help in scheduling customizations to ensure your loved one’s residence is a more convenient place for independence. To discover more about our home care services in Syracuse, NY, contact us at 315.579.HOME (4663). Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help multiple sclerosis patients stay in the comfort of their home, with the MS home care needed to improve quality of life.